And of course, another year is behind us again. Instead of write an essay, I'm just gonna fill out this survey since that's more fun.
1. What did you do in 2012 that you’d never done before?
I shot more footage, around two hours worth from two cameras for the Mad Tea Party scene in Alison, in one day than I ever did before. I also ate sea urchin for the first time.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions and will you make more for next year?
I was unable to complete or even finish shooting Alison in Wonderland, so no. But I have a slew of new resolutions planned for next year, including staying off cigarettes, losing weight and finishing the movie by August of 2013.
3. How will you be spending New Years Eve?
Some people like to get drunk on St. Patrick's Day, personally, New Years Eve is the biggest "get drunk" night for me. Last year I consumed 12 or 13 servings of alcohol. This year, out of concern for my health, I think I'll be keeping it down to six.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
5. What countries did you visit?
Too busy working on Alison to go on vacation I'm afraid.
6. What would you like to have in 2013 that you lacked in 2012?
A significant other, a finished film and maybe a little more money.
7. What dates from 2012 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
The whole year was hard to forget with the slew of mass shootings and craziness. Aurora, Sandy Hook, half the Midwest in almost biblical drought, Hurricane Sandy (which, like Irene before it, disrupted Alison's shoot), those weird "zombie" attacks and so forth. Election Day was very memorable as well, I was pretty terrified Romney would win. And of course December 21st, the date the world was supposed to end but didn't.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Getting a considerable portion of Alison in Wonderland shot. I also finished the scripts for Coup D'Etat and Horror Colony.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not being able to finish shooting Alison. I also was very disappointed after I went on a great date but the girl got cold feet afterward. I also gained a significant amount of weight and took up smoking again, both out of stress.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
None aside from the usual allergies, colds and a flu, though I just had a bout of insomnia so bad I thought I had developed sleep apnea. And the weight gain as well, that could count as illness.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Bought next to nothing new that wasn't for the movie.
12. Where did most of your money go?
The movie and assorted living expenses.
13. What song will always remind you of 2012?
14. What do you wish you’d done more of?
Working hard and focusing on the positives.
15. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Dicking around the internet, especially on Facebook.
16. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
Not really, hate is a very strong word. I was screwed over by an actor though and there was this one person who viciously insulted me over something rather trivial and really hurt my feelings, but fuck it.
17. What was your greatest musical discovery?
I really loved Hikaru Utada's song Sakura Nagashi from the new Evangelion movie.
18. What was your favorite TV program?
South Park always wets my whistle.
19. What was the best book you read?
Embarrassed to admit it, but I didn't do enough reading this year. I actually don't read many books for pleasure.
20. What was your favorite film of this year?
Argo was probably objectively the best, though Dark Knight Rises was my personal favorite. I also loved God Bless America.
21. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
I was 26 and I don't think I did anything because I was filming the next day. I went out for dinner with my mother and then with my grandparents at some point though.
22. What kept you sane?
The support of my friends and family, Japanese movies, laughter, alcohol and the motto "This, too, shall pass".
23. What major life lesson did you learn this year?
Nothing really unique to this year, but I very much continued to learn the lessons of previous years. Don't give up hope and faith in something greater than yourself. If you want something, it will not be just given to you, you have to work and fight for it. Do not put much value in the opinions of others.
24. What hopes do you have for 2013?
I hope to finish Alison in Wonderland and get my film career ahead a little bit by shopping it around to festivals. I would also like to lose at least 60 pounds. Finding some love would be very nice too.