Thursday, June 09, 2011

A pig's heart and kidney I've been keeping in my refrigerator pickled in hard liquor as a grotesque detail for the Hatter scene.
Long time no update, that's mostly because I have been so busy getting this puppy together. First the casting, it's been an at times frustrating process but I have about half the movie cast and the rest of the actors needed to be cast for the most part are just smaller roles. The toughest part was having several actors who I liked and thought were right for the part basically refuse to commit due sometimes to the film's content and other times to lack of time or whatever. It's been much harder than I anticipated, but I'm still going strong, finding people is easy, finding the right people is a challenge. I'm not going to name names since nothing is finalized yet, but I've found my Alison. In addition to Jake Schwartz as the Hatter, I've cast, as of right now, the roles of Derek, Alison's Father, The March Hare, The Red Queen, a few card guards, Sid the Executioner and the Bush-like President.
The Hatter's collection of dirty, pretty things.
Also, former Gen-Y Films "collaborator" and after that long time nuisance, bitter enemy and beer extortionist Thomas Riggs Hinchey is now in jail. He and Dave Luce love to paint themselves as victims of "my tyranny" but I think it was largely the other way around and their puerile videos speak that for themselves I think. What goes around really does come around.
Meet the Cheshire Cat!
Got the money in May and since then I've been furiously hammering out stuff in the prop department as well to meet July's filming deadline. I've been ordering on Amazon and Ebay and heading to the Goodwill store constantly. I think it's a really good idea for a low budget filmmaker to hit the Goodwill a lot, not only is it dirt cheap, but it all has a nice "lived in" look that is better for realism. Making a new production diary soon to show some off this off, but some of it includes a new piked head in President Obama's likeness (a reference to how despised he is, really), the Cheshire Cat puppet and a myriad of perversions for the Mad Hatter's house including soiled women's undergarments, real pickled organs, severed limbs and a Buchenwald-style human skin lamp shade.
Been using a lot of spray paint lately!
Wardrobe aside as I have to coordinate that with the actors more, the film is about half of the way ready to go prop wise. The "real world" scenes are literally just about all set, I even have most of the posters that will decorate Alison, Derek and Molly's bedroom walls. The Hatter scene is about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way all set to go. I even have the entire tea set all ready to go. Building the Mad Hatter's hellish M.C. Esher-like hatrack right now, which is taking a real long time to build, mount and get nice and sturdy. Did a recent revision of the script that cuts out the Mock Turtle/Myrtle the Turtle character and replaces it with a shorter scene with a unicorn.
Recent sketch of the waking up in the Hatter's house scene.
Also, Alison in Wonderland now has a Tumblr account dedicated entirely to it. Follow me for pictures and more frequent updates.

No comments: