Thursday, January 27, 2011

Good and some (to a few) awful news. The good news: I have just finished several more props for Alison in Wonderland and the film, whether the Kickstarter works or not, will be funded in some capacity and is on the fast track to being made. I have several people on board and interested already. More info and pictures of the props to come soon.

Now the bad news, the Black Sunshine: Conversations with T.F. Mou DVD has been cancelled. I was getting closer to being done with it, it's kind of a spur of the moment decision. I am sorry to those of you whom I let down. To compromise, I am going to make a torrent out of the film and upload it online in the meantime (see if I can get it on Cinemageddon) and I may host a DivX .avi off my webspace of the uncut version and put the censored TV version on YouTube.

There are several reasons I decided not to; just today I realized that if the reasons not to do it outweigh the reasons about 5:1, why am I doing it?
1. The Two Short Films DVD was a pretty dismal failure and has sold four copies. This could easily be a repeat of that. Well, it'll probably do better, probably sell a dozen or two dozen copies. I can barely afford food with the price of food rising and I am starting to think this would be me just pissing away hundreds of dollars for no good reason to sell about 25 units at absolute most.
2. This DVD will be even more work than Two Short Films and time is just as valuable as money and I need time to get Alison, always my real baby, going. This would bite into that. I already have had to post-pone the film last year because of this film.
3. I've always been very uneasy about the rights issues surrounding this project and could easily get sued doing this. I'll probably just get a "cease and desist" but I want to be in good standing with the copyright holders so I can pay them off and officially release this film and pissing them off, even if I don't get sued, will most definitely put a damper in that. I also have made my enemies over the last few years and I wouldn't put it past one of them blowing the whistle to Celestial to "get me back".
4. I was never totally happy with Deirdre's narration track. She did her best but I don't think she wanted to do it and I suspect she was uncomfortable with the material. I am uneasy with the film because of that and am not comfortable releasing the film on DVD until the narration track is re-recorded.
5. I do not have the technical facilities quite necessary to make the DVD I want right now, also I am behind schedule on the special features.
In the meantime, here's the DVD cover, which I quite like. If you want to burn the digital copy I upload of my film to a DVD and like sexy covers (I just keep my burned DVDs in envelops or in a "wallet"), by all means use this as the cover. I may well upload the special features in Divx form too.

In the ironic words of Shiro Ishii at the end of Man Behind the Sun: "This is not a defeat." Black Sunshine has been a very difficult project for me. It and Dream House have their similarities but also differences. With Dream House, aside from the Eyeball Neck/Guinness fever dream that continues to haunt me to this day, it was over pretty quickly and what is wrong with the film was completely my fault and out of my own laziness. With Black Sunshine: Conversations with T.F. Mou things went nearly as badly (with one main, significant difference, what I got is quite salvageable) but this time it was in spite of my best efforts to the contrary. It's like every stage of it has been plagued with gridlock, frustrations and resistance, one of the main reasons I decided to can the DVD is because of its Murphy's Law like streak of luck. But I still intend to finish the film and get it released, don't worry. I am going to get T.F. Mou's early films in the movie and the film will be officially distributed and get a real DVD release. We just don't know when that will happen.

3 comments:

Kingwho? said...

How much money would you need to release the dvd the way you want it?

Andrew said...

Sorry to hear about the DVD delay, was really looking forward to it. I hope you still plan to release the Collector's Edition autographed copies.
Yeah, but in the next month or so I'll be throwing some money in the jar towards Alison, best of luck.

J.L. Carrozza said...

"How much money would you need to release the dvd the way you want it?"

Money isn't the only issue as I said.

"Sorry to hear about the DVD delay, was really looking forward to it. I hope you still plan to release the Collector's Edition autographed copies."
I still plan on selling autographed copies, but I can't say when that will happen. I may go the DVD-R route when the rights are all paid, but I may also just try to get the film sold. I already had a few film sales companies interested in it, but sadly nothing has come of that.