Sunday, September 26, 2010

A couple new things.

First, here's an interview with me on Black Sunshine: Conversations with T.F. Mou by Brian Bankston of the nice cult film blog Cool Ass Cinema. It's very long and I talk about a lot of things, from my beginnings with Little Red Riding Hood and Dream House to my personal relationship with T.F. Mou and the trials and to some degree suffering that was making Black Sunshine. I reveal a lot of backstory from Dave Luce's antics to Mou's films and his influence on Hong Kong cinema.


Here's a music video I directed that shows off the film's finale which gets a little bit Koyaanisqatsi. I wanted that Bach piece in the movie for the end where Mou and I get more philosophical and down to Earth. The final message of the movie is a little like the "just tend the garden" revelation in Voltaire's Candide. You know, in spite of all the horrors in the world, all you can really do and ultimately the most effective method of fighting it is just to enjoy the gift of life. Pei-yei Tsai is a pianist friend of mine from Taiwan who I know through my uncle and I called upon her when I wanted an original recording of Jesus Bleibet Meine Freude.

The whole Instrumentality sequence in End of Evangelion was also an influence which you can see here I think. The music video was shot in the upstairs piano room at Boston University and the moving shots where done with an office chair and skateboard. Also, the tranquil city footage is from a variety of sources. Some it was shot early in 2010 when I was living in Cambridge for Black Sunshine. There's a little bit of footage I shot for Life in a Day as well and a good half of it is from the stock footage I shot for the old Alice in Wonderland back in 2008. I went around Boston and got around 45 minutes of shots of all over the city intended for a big, bombastic opening credit sequence. When the project blew up in my face I was left with a tape filled with stock footage of the city. I used a fair share of it in Black Sunshine.

The YouTube clips of Black Sunshine should be up in a week or two. Also, the script for 'Would You Like To Take a Survey?' is done. I'm happy with it, it's twisted, amusing stuff I think. The normal method of parodying something is to take something serious and make it light and airy. This takes a light and airy running joke on Animaniacs and turns it into a heavy, suspenseful slasher film like scenario which in of itself is the joke.

I'm not gonna talk about it too much. I want it to be a surprise, but it's personal in its own way and involves a girl in the city being stalked by a grotesquely dressed, ghoul-like businessman with a high pitched braying voice (picture J. Gordon Levitt, Herk Harvey in Carnival of Souls and Spongebob Squarepants all rolled together) who really, really wants a her to take his survey and just won't take no for an answer. Nor will he take "Get the fuck away from me", "I'm calling the police" or a pepper-spraying to the eyes.

No comments: