Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Not too much to update, but enough to be updated:
*The first hour or so of Conversations with T.F. Mou is done. Finally editing the Men Behind the Sun stuff. The movie definitely expands in its depth as it goes along. The version I'm currently editing for the premiere is really just the workprint. I'm leaving the option for new stuff to be added like clips of Mou's rarer stuff if I can get the film archives to assist open though its polished enough aesthetically to still be released anyways in case I can't. The DVD, yeah, is, for now, postponed indefinitely. I'll give some timecoded "bootlegs" of the film out for anyone who wants to review it and give me some press. The thing about the DVD is that I can't release it until the rights are cleared and paid for and by then I may have a distributor and all that and they may not want me releasing my own DVD, though I'm gonna try to talk that into the deal.

*Will have new drawings up in several days, hopefully.

*Saw a screening of Survival of the Dead in Cambridge with George Romero himself present. I was planning on getting him to sign my copies of Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead and telling him how much I love his movies, the you've been an inspiration bit, all that, but he left before the film was done screening. As for the movie, it's not as good as the first three (goes without saying I think) but I like it a little better that Diary of the Dead and about as much as Land of the Dead. Romero said he was basically "trying to make a Western with zombies" and I totally got that. It's basically a zombie version of Yojimbo and A Fistful of Dollars with Alan Van Sprang's renegade G.I. sorta (but not totally) playing the Mifune/Eastwood role. There's that great scene in Night of the Living Dead where Mr. Cooper says to his wife about Ben and his refusal to go in cellar: "We'll see who's right in the end" to which his wife retorts "That really important to you isn't it? Being right?". Thematically, that's basically Survival of the Dead in a nutshell.

No comments: