Friday, June 19, 2009

So the Epson came, but it was defective. I'm getting a replacement, but no DVDs until the replacement arrives.

Anyways, the day I will start taking orders is July 6th. That will give me time and leeway to produce some of them while at the same time ironing out the technical difficulties.

I'm in the midst of submitting both films to a bunch of film festivals. Dream House is in consideration at the Terror Film Festival and they have an entry for it on their submitted films page. This will mean both films will soon also have IMDb pages, as will yours truly.

And here are some Alison in Wonderland concept pieces I did recently that give a good idea of what the film will look like visually.

My vision of the character of Alison, a smart but very confused young woman as she spaces out in the park after around 56 hours of no sleep.
Even when I had designs on making the film as the more straightforward but vague Alice in Wonderland last year, I wanted the White Rabbit that leads Alice/Alison to Wonderland to be a girl in a Playboy bunny costume as a tip of the hat to the anime Miyuki-chan in Wonderland. Now, however, it's as much a homage to that as a jab at corporate America (a big theme here), since the White Rabbit will look just like something that Hugh Hefner would happily play with on his deathbed. The roller skates, however, are a bit of a perhaps even subconscious nod to the depiction of the character in that Disney kids' show they used to make of Alice back in the 90s that Neil probably remembers far better than I do. I think the Red Queen was a black lady and the slightest hint of pompous self-involvement was the full extent of her brutality.
The Cheshire Cat in all his psychotronic glory. The puppet will have a design based off a silver tabby American Shorthair and will be double-exposed so as to appear transparent. The only trade-off is that it will be nearly impossible to move the camera. His voice will be very "David Bowie".The Mad Hatter and the March Hare, his repressed homosexual lover. For portrayal, think Heath Ledger's Joker and Alex from A Clockwork Orange gone bisexual on a shoestring budget with some Willy Wonka thrown in there. The inside of the character's house will look like if Pee Wee Herman and Dave Luce's Wolf from Little Red Riding Hood were roommates. Though I seem to have drawn him subconsciously to look a little like Dave, Dave will not be playing the role due to a recent "war on stupidity" he has decided to declare upon me.And here we have the Red Queen, which will be the part where the movie will really return to that much-loved Little Red Riding Hood territory. She's absolutely going to be viciously brutal, like a mix between Vlad Dracul and Elizabeth Bathory. Like how Vlad would dine among his impaled, piked former subjects (a detail that I read as a child and will never forget as a mental image), she keeps her victims' impaled, rotting heads in her throne room as decorations among lots of Mario Bava and Roger Corman Poe film candles and vases filled with her beloved red roses. Her scenes will almost invoke John Boorman's Excalibur on a shoe-string. I've added a few little bits to the script showing her torture chambers which contain little jabs at Abu Ghraib and Guantanamo Bay. Her "Card Guard" who I originally envisioned as wearing silly full card costume outfits, will have a design very akin to the Knights Templar with a white tunic under chain-mail but their "card number" instead of a red cross.

5 comments:

Crocodile said...

Have you ever considered doing your own podcast where you discuss movies? I think that would be awesome. CarrozzaCast.

J.L. Carrozza said...

I considered that years ago, as well as Vlog about films too, but I don't really do film criticism much anymore.

You know, need to focus on what I really want to do...

J.L. Carrozza said...

The problem is, a regular podcast or VLog is a big commitment and unless I really love doing it (and I only like doing that kind of thing, which isn't enough) I'll probably make like three and then stop.

Crocodile said...

Yeah I guess it would eat up a fair chunk of your time, but I hope you'll put up some production diaries when you start shooting Alison.

J.L. Carrozza said...

That is a big possibility. They will be much shorter and less revealing than DREAM HOUSE's, though. I want the film to be fairly big surprise when people see it.