Sunday, May 17, 2009

Unborn is back with a vengeance!


Unlike the last version, which I literally threw together, from the time I pushed the "record" button for the first time to the time it was posted on YouTube, in 24 hours, this version took me over a week to polish and get the look of the footage right.

One of my fondest memories as a kid was watching beat up looking movie trailers on VHS. They always looked like shit, just like the fake trailers in Grindhouse: scratches, splices and black spots everywhere along with runny faded color made even worse by the look of VHS.

So that's what I've done here, emulated heavy 16mm print-like grain like in many of the VHS transfers of companies like Something Weird Video, the runny color fade that badly stored color celluloid develops after a while and even the poor widescreen matting these trailers have some of the time.

Then, to complete the illusion, I transferred it to VHS and then back to DVD and so forth to get to look like something you'd see advertised at the beginning of a VHS tape with lurid cover art that you'd rent in Hollywood Blockbuster in 1991 to ease your aching boredom.

I had a whole 45 minutes of "Boston footage" which I shot a year ago, last spring and summer for Alice in Wonderland in its previous incarnation. I shot all that for a big, elaborate and lengthy opening credit sequence but once the project was canned I had no use for it (and since Alison is being shot in HD and set mostly in a small town I have no use for it there either). When making the new version of Unborn, since it was also filmed around Boston and is basically about the moral decay of the young urban lifestyle, I decided to finally make some of this footage useful in establishing location. I'm thinking about cutting the rest of this footage into a Koyaanisqatsi kind of thing.

3 comments:

Ethan2Reed said...

Oh, very nice. In fact the only thing that gives away the illusion of '70/80s film is the voiceover (sounds quite new), something that happens on Grindhouse too. Otherwise it's pretty authentic looking, and the subject might have as well gotten the movie banned in the UK if it had existed!

J.L. Carrozza said...

Admittedly, compact high quality TVs, DVD players, reproductions of the 1954 Gojira poster and gaylord bands like "Tally Hall" all didn't exist back in 1983 either...

Ethan2Reed said...

True, but it's pretty close when seen from a technical perspective.