Saturday, April 18, 2009

I've been working a bit on the Two Short Films by J.L. Carrozza DVD. I posted some specs on my website at last update, but I though I'd go into specifics a bit more.

The films themselves are going to be presented at a much higher bitrate than the special features, naturally. They will be matted in 16:9 widescreen and compression will be as minimal as possible and they're going to look almost as good as printed to DV tape. The audio will be uncompressed PCM, ie, raw stereo. I was going to use higher bit-rate Dolby Digital stereo but I was unimpressed by the sound of it in the prototypes I've been making. Not bad, but still a little too muffled and compressed for my taste. This will be the best presentation of both films in the best version humanly possible.

The films will feature detailed commentary tracks. I have already prepared extensive notes for both of them and they will record as soon as the two films are completed.

One thing that may disappoint some, however, is that I've chosen to omit menus for the DVD. I really think snazzy, slick menus are the most overrated aspect of DVDs in general. You can get to any part of the disc you want via a bit of proficiency with the DVD remote. They also are above my software's technological limitations. They would make the disc take longer since I have no experience with making DVD menus and would mean I would have to invest in more costly software. Sorry, but no. The commentary track can also be selected via a simple push of the "audio" button.

In terms of special features, I've completed work on both making of specials for Little Red Riding Hood and Dream House, both of which have a lot of never before seen footage. Little Red Riding Hood's is 12 minutes long and more concise but actually shows more than the last did and Dream House's has everything the production diaries had minus the introductions and then some. It runs around 20 minutes. Both making of documentaries are like exploitation films in of themselves, I swear.

There will also be redone trailers which will also be on YouTube soon as well as a deleted scenes special for Dream House showing reconstructions of three deleted scenes from the film.

Last and likely least, as a more comedic special feature, The Big Toe in its entirety will be included. Of all my Kojiro Abe-era films that one is my favorite and is the closest to success of my "early work". And we all have to start somewhere!

All this for less than the price of a case of Guinness: $12: a sum that includes domestic shipping (international folks will probably have to pay around $15). There will be a promo on YouTube in the not too distant future.

2 comments:

Kevin James said...

I saw the Big Toe a while back on Google Video. Fun stuff, reminded me a lot of what Joe and I used to do back in the day.

Crocodile said...

I am so ready for this! I got my money rolled up and tucked away in a jar just for this moment!